Sunday, May 23, 2010

J & F's garden

Today I visited my friend, sick with bronchitis and who has been house bound for some days. In the middle of my friend’s lawn sits a giant lemon tree where most people would have a Hills hoist (clothesline). You can’t miss its presence in the backyard. It invites you outside for a closer inspection.

All hail the lemon tree! Its huge three pronged trunk makes it almost unrecognisable as a culinary plant. It is literally ‘a tree’, more fitting to be made into some sort of furniture. I wanted to make sure the fruit were still within human reach. Yes, lemons were obtainable on tippy-toes.

In the picture is the lemon tree in the background and peppers/chillies in the foreground. I have seen bell peppers, spiral shaped, and freaky elongated ones, but I have never seen round ones. These perfect spheres look like cherry tomatoes at first glance. Unlucky are the birds that make the mistake. These peppers would make a lovely garnish when thinly cut to create red hot rings. Perhaps in a Thai beef salad? Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment